My husband, Vince, asked, “Why are you interested in more people visiting your website, anyway? Don’t you have enough? Do you want everybody to love you?
That’s a thought-provoking conversation really. My short answer – YES! I love all my blogging/Facebook/email/Twitter/face-to-face friends. Here’s my problem. I get a little green when I visit a new blogger 2 months into it, and they already have 2,731 followers, or they have 492 likes on their About page. Once in a while I think, “Wow that is a cool About page.” More likely I think, “That wasn’t a bad About page, but 597 likes??? What am I doing wrong here? I know – childish, but I’m being honest here.
Eventually I would like somebody to notice my blog and say to me, “Marsha, you are such an awesome blogger, would you mind if we bought some of your material?” OK, I do get “awesome blog here” every day from spammers, but it’s not jump starting my writing/photography career.
What really got me ranting to Leanne Cole a couple of days ago was a blog that a young woman started only 4 months ago with advice on “How to earn money from your blog.” I thought, “Sure, I’d like to earn money for doing what I love.” I played the video – no advice. I clicked the email for a video with free advice – no advice, but there was a beautiful picture of her. That was bad enough, but in the many comments on her About page were things like, “Thanks, you helped me so much!” …… REALLY???
So last night Leanne Cole, a wonderful blogging friend for about a year, and I chatted for an hour. She has some really good tidbits, and she has lots of visitors to her site. We came up with a list of things we both like about blogs, some of which I am not doing.
Tips for Writing
- Keep the post to about 500 words. (HARD!!)
- Place only one picture between each SHORT paragraph. You have about 30 seconds to wow everyone. Never have only 1 long paragraph.
- Stay away from black backgrounds and small lettering – hard to read.
- Have a schedule and be predictable. Consistently write about certain things on certain days.
Tips for Drawing Readers
- Liking people’s posts brings them to visit yours.
- Look at blogs in the reader.
- Read with a purpose. If your purpose is photography, find ones with pictures. My personal favorite is longer blogs with a great story.
- Skim if it’s a long article.
Improvement # 1: a schedule for my main blog (this one.)
- Mondays -
What do you think so far? OK here are my topic choices. Please vote!!!
p.s. word count 473!